Sunday, September 18, 2011

18 September '11

Well, yesterday I attended the first session of my second class in my Master of Education degree journey.  It is a class about using technology in the classroom.  One of our first assignments in this class is to create my own blog.  As I sat in class and pondered upon this assignment (excited for the opportunity and enjoying the challenge), I tried to pinpoint exactly what I wanted to banter about on a regular basis for the next few weeks.

Considering this was a class related to my profession, the first natural topic choice that popped into my mind was to create a blog about education.  Lacking any inspiration, I immediately began a Google search for educational blogs.  As I perused these educational blogs, I became inspired enough to bookmark a few as resources for future referral.  Unfortunately, as I continued to browse these same educational blogs, it also became very clear that although useful and insightful, I frowned upon the idea of investing even more time in the already unbalanced career part of my life.

Having eliminated that possible blogging topic, I decided to explore upon an idea my prof had shared during class.  He had suggested, "You can blog about a side-business."

As I considered his suggestion I thought, "Hmmm, I could do that, surely there aren't very many sawmill/logging blogs out in Internet land.  Surely, I could corner this market and create a booming advertising blog promoting our family business."  Almost simultaneously the blog title, "Logging Blogging" popped into my head signaling a sure sign of divine blogging potential.  Exploring this option further, I conducted a second Google search looking to be inspired, and found one, single logging blog.  I then realized, yes, I would pretty much conquer that corner of the "blogging market", but instantly rejected the idea realizing this subject was also too much like work!

I was beginning to realize that I needed my blog to be light and humorous, void of the daily grind.  So, flowing from my mind like a magical fairy came the light and humor in my life as Jerry's wife.   For the last fourteen years I have been married to a brute of a guy named Jerry, who is part cowboy and part lumberjack, and ALL FREE ENTERTAINMENT AND ADVENTURE. For the entire tee of our fourteen years of marriage, I have THREATENED to write a book, My Life as Jerry's Wife.  I have said it so often, that it has become a family joke.  My blood relatives and in-laws alike often state, "Hey, Michele you need to put that story in your book," or "Did you know this story Michele? I think it would make a great chapter in that book you are going to write about Jerry."

This idea instantly began growing roots of its own and has grown forth into a forest of stories woven in and out of the time we have spent together as husband and wife. I now have a three-page long list of story ideas awaiting my techno pen.  So, soon to come in this blog will be the most memorable moments in my life as Jerry's wife.  Some of these stories are the same stories I have already shared with family and friends sitting around the bonfire in our horse pasture, or around the pool table in Jerry's "Man's Room".  So grab yourself a log to sit on or  cue up your pool stick, make yourself comfortable and settle in each week as I share the adventures I have experienced and the lessons I have learned from being Jerry's wife.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, I am hooked! Can't wait to read the next post. This is a great start!

    ReplyDelete